Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hakuna Matata!


This show was incredible! My friend down the hall was given 2 tickets to see The Lion King and we've spent the last 2 weeks looking forward to it. As it turned out, these were prime tickets: middle of the 6th row! It was all in Korean, but it was so close to the Disney cartoon (I watched countless times while babysitting over the years =), following the dialogue was no problem.
I wasn't sure how great it would be since the whole animal kingdom would be played by people, but the costuming and sets were so creative and realistic-- I was wowed and amazed! The music was beautiful and perfectly matched in the choreography-- I actually teared up a few times at the sheer power of it (and if you know me well, you know this is quite out-of-my-ordinary reaction!). The logistics of putting on this show are tricky and I can't even begin to imagine everything that has to happen perfectly to make it work, but one thing that is obvious is the unique character roles. These performers worked some complicated life-size puppets while they were inside of them-- even more, each actor/actress played the character with facial expression and everything WHILE working the puppets. It was like a morphed character where the person and puppet are one-- seamlessly playing the part-- completely lifelike and every emotion/action/mannerism perfectly communicated.
So this is my ringing endorsement: if you EVER get the chance to see a performance of Disney BroadwayThe Lion King, take it! Who knows, maybe you'll have a friend down the hall who knows generous people who have connections... it could happen =)
I'm still on the really-good-art-performance-experience high, so I'm not sure that sleep will come, but It's a long day at our speech meet tomorrow and I gotta go to bed =)

O, I just can't wait to be King!!!

No comments: