Saturday, September 30, 2006

Things happen…

If you’ve never spent time in a culture operating in a language you don’t know, here’s an idea of a few things that can happen:
  • Just because you’re in a Costco and the package looks like bacon, that doesn’t mean that it is. I now have a very large quantity of uncured, completely plain, thick-sliced piggy in my freezer—pork fried rice anyone?
  • Usually labels include some kind of picture to aid the shopping process, but once you get it home, 2 spray bottles may look quite similar. One of my favorite shirts needed a shot of Fabreeze-equivalent spray after living in my mothball-essence wardrobe, so I grabbed the bottle off the counter and gave it a few squirts… not Fabreeze. style=""> I hadn’t noticed how similar the tub&tile bottle and label were to the Fabreeze bottle and label until the scented spray came out in a foam that smelled amazingly like bleach which is exactly what the cleaner smells like… tie-dye is not becoming on a dark button-up blouse!

So, we live and learn, spend money on accidental purchases and unintentionally weed out the school clothing simply by not understanding the language

No comments: