Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Two wheeling!

One of the things I've wanted to look into buying (first paycheck comes the end of this month!) is a bicycle. Barbara-- my 61-year-young friend down the hall wanted one too and since we are both quite short for our ages, we figured we could even share a bike =) On our way to the pancake shop where we decided to eat last night (Korean pancakes are entirely different than IHOP, it's a dinner food), we went by the bike shop to look around.

There was a man getting his bike serviced while we browsed and his English was pretty good, so he interpreted our questions for the shop owner. We found out we'd need about $100 for the bike we were interested in-- nothing fancy, just simple mountain style with some gears to deal with the hills. We said we'd come back when we had money and headed toward dinner. After popping into a sporting goods store where we tried to ask about squash/racquetball courts-- they don't have them here-- our English-speaking friend was waiting outside with another guy who also had a bike. This second guy had heard us talking at the bike shop and he wanted to sell his bike, so he tracked us down with our good-natured interpreter to see if we wanted to buy his for $30 or $40. He said he got a new bike, only has one lock (a bike is the one thing that is readily stolen in Korea), and was planning to sell it to a bike shop before heading into Seoul for a family function.

As we walked home with our $30 21-speed mountain bike, $6 lock, our interpreter-friend's phone number to set up a bike ride some Sunday, and tummies full of spicy pancakes, I found a musical instrument shop. When I left my guitar in the states (thanks guitar-sitter Steve!), I promised myself I'd find a used one here to strum a little when I need to restore some sanity. Most of the guitars on display were foreign brands I've never heard of with Chinese labels inside, but it looks like I can pick one up for about $120 when I get paid-- unless, of course, on my way to the shop someone just happens to be selling a used guitar and there just happens to be an interpreter... Hey, it could happen!


Philippians 4:19And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Luke 12:29
And don't worry about food--what to eat and drink. Don't worry whether God will provide it for you. 30These things dominate the thoughts of most people, but your Father already knows your needs.
... and wants, and desires, and vague wishes for insignificant comforts, and....

I'm just here to point to the fact that it's all TRUE!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continuing to love the blogs, Chappie...keep it up. Sounds like you're doing great...Love, Brownie

Tammi said...

Life is good =)
Thanks for your prayers and checking in...
Chappie =)