Saturday, March 10, 2007

Because Somewhere in the World, It's still Friday...

FRIDAY FEAST

Appetizer

What is your usual bedtime? Do you like that, or would you rather it be different?

If I remember where I put the remote, my bedtime is about midnight or one because I find things to watch and just can't seem to pull myself away... if I'm catching up on grading, it's later. Those weeks when I crash early 10-ish, I always think it would be great to make it a habit.

Soup
When it comes to advice, do you give more or receive more?

Overall, I give more than receive, but as a people-watcher, others give me advice without even knowing it all the time!

Salad
Describe a memorable meal you've had.

So many of them here in Korea, but I think one of the best memories would be the first Korean BBQ meal I had with my great friends back in Oregon. We were celebrating my upcoming adventure and trying out the food I would encounter in my new land-- lots of laughs, yummy do-it-yourself food and wonderful company!

Main Course
Name a work of fiction that affected the way you think about something.

The two that come to mind have a common "self-discovery as a castaway" theme, so I'll name both:
Robinson Crusoe
and Life of Pi

When left on their own, these men are forced to do deep thinking, answering the questions that are too important not to ask and making sense of life. I remember being so frustrated with Mr. Crusoe after I read him through to get him off the island only to see him "throw it all away," but in the end I could understand. Then the incredible story that Yann Martel weaves together is turned on it's head at the end-- left with this ambiguity that turns my thinking upside down and inside out, I love to seek truth, yet mystery has it's place too. That also makes me think of Peace Like a River. I love love love the message of mystery and grace in this book. I'll stop now, otherwise there won't be room for dessert!

Dessert
What is your favorite type of fruit juice?

Jeju Island orange juice. It's just the right tangy and sweet!

No comments: