Sunday, February 25, 2007

Deep Breath....

Tylenol PM is a wonderful invention and I'm glad I brought it along! A half-dose and finding just the right position allowed me to sleep all night. When I woke up, I thought maybe I was all better, but then I took a breath and moved-- 2 very bad ideas =)

I cancelled my English study class for today since I couldn't imagine talking that much, but still went to church. I love my church and the beauty of our unity and care also means that we are very involved in each other's lives (most of the time, a good thing =), so if I was gone and they knew I was sick, there might be a posse showing up at my door with the Korean version of chicken soup and an acupuncture kit . No, not really... but since breathing is what hurts and I have to do that wherever I am, I went to church anyway.

Dr. Yang met me at the door (like I said, news travels fast), and asked me about my condition. I told him about my hospital visit and he wanted a careful description of my symptoms; then he said that since all the tests were negative, he would say it's pleurisy and it will resolve itself, but the symptoms could be helped by anti-inflammatories (couldn't they have told me that last night?!?!) He got me all set up with the pills I need for 5 days and they are already helping the pain a little bit.
Summary? bloodwork, x-rays, EKG, and 3 hours in the emergency room on a Saturday night with no conclusions or ideas for treatment: $70.... A caring doctor who listens and gives medication that helps on a Sunday morning before worshipping: priceless!

I love my church and my friends who pour out so much love; pray so many prayers; use their cars and professions as ministry on their days off; and generally let all of us know that we cannot fall through the cracks-- we will not be left alone. The flip-side is all the attention which I'm not used to, but it feels more like Acts 2 than any body I've been a part of before.

It's good to be weak sometimes, to need help, to see the help that is always there. This has been a very unexpected part of living overseas-- my weaknesses are multiplied and magnified while God covers me and becomes everything I need. I'm pretty sure that's how He planned for life to work!

No comments: