Sunday, February 25, 2007

Fame?

I had forewarning on Friday night that my picture would be in the Sunday bulletin. The Korean members were really excited! Today, I got a taste of why it was such a big deal... all morning, my face was staring back at me in the halls, in the sanctuary, in the chair next to me... acckkk!
There are around 4,000 people in our church and they print up (I would guess) around 5,000 bulletins each week (the extras are handed out as tracts on the subways for outreach over the coming weeks). I am the back page along with a poetic narrative written by the high school pastor I work with for the English Bible study.

They wanted to send me home with a whole stack of these so I could give them to all my friends, but I think this is better (eventually, this post will archive and we can all forget about it =) So, here it is, (think 8.5"x11" page!) with the English translation I was given:
Jesus is My Cloth of Heaven!
I feel like I'm part of Korea as I wear a Korean traditional costume. I want to be close with the culture and people of Korea. When we believe in Jesus, we shall be clothed with Jesus as a covering. We live this life while experiencing Heaven in Jesus' arms. ~~written by pastor Cha (Lawrence)
As people passed me in the halls or on the sidewalks near the church today, the normal quick-stare because I'm foreign was followed by a double-take and recognition. So many comments, so much attention, so strange...
Last time that there was a small picture with a few of us foreigners tucked inside the bulletin, we met ourselves on the subway a couple weeks later when we were on the same train where the Korean members were evangelizing-- it was strange to have people sitting across from us thumbing through the bulletin and then glance at us and at the picture again and then at us as they realized we were the ones in the paper they were reading. This one is bigger and oh, so solo! I think I'll stay off the subways for a while =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much.