Sunday, February 04, 2007

February already?!?

Before I turn in early for the night, just thought I'd catch up a little bit on this here blog.... Lots going on right now, and yet I think it's just little things adding up to big lists to keep track of =)

Overall, life is very good! The sun made an amazing appearance today and we were blessed with an early taste of spring after one of the coldest weeks we've had so far! Unfortunately, during that very cold week, the furnace for the 2nd floor where I teach died and required some major repair-- the hard-working support staff at our school made sure we had some gigantic propane space heaters in our classrooms (but the fume headaches were almost worse than the hypothermia =) I'm not complaining, it's just a few of the little things that have added up to a very tired and slightly overwhelmed week.

We also welcomed something like 15 new students to the new semester, the majority being middle schoolers. This required some quick skills testing while re-arranging our class structures to accommodate and get the new students assimilated and keep our classes on track.
I've taken the privilege of sponsoring the middle school spelling bee and the preparation for that is one more little thing that will continue until March 9 when our team of 4 students will pile in a van and take on the teams of other international schools for fun and the chance to spell our way to the top!

Many of our teachers are at the end of their contracts this year and looking to other teaching opportunities all over the world, so the sense of suspense, hope, and a little nervousness is prevailing in the halls. This, I believe, is the nature of second semester in international schools and next year, I will have the question of the following year's plans to deal with. For now, I'm just glad it's not one more thing to add to the list of things swimming through this brain-- there is, however, some brain-space taken up by prayer and thoughts for my good friends who are dealing with all these questions, applications, interviews, and uncertainties.

Along with a new semester at school (and the annual switch from U.S. Government to Economics for senior social studies which always takes me by surprise and stretches a different part of my brain-- you'd think I'd anticipate it after 3 years of practice, but somehow I never learn =), I also have begun a new endeavor at church. The high school group (about 200 students, I think) has been wishing for an English Bible study to help students improve their English skills while studying God's word. The pastor and director of the youth ministry anticipated a small group Bible study of about 10 or 12, but it kind of blew up into a class of 30 students, some adults who teach in the youth ministry, and the youth pastor and director (both of whom have to earn their keep translating some parts for students with limited English ability =)

We just had our first study today and although I was a bit overwhelmed by the task, it is truly where I want to be! With so many students, I wasn't able to really meet them all individually in this first week, but I look forward to finding out who they are and their English levels (I think we have the whole spectrum of early beginners to a few intermediates!)
Have you ever had the opportunity to find yourself smack in the middle of an Ephesians 2:10 moment?

"For we are God's workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Yep, it was kinda like that! It hit me a little bit while I was planning the lesson (see the next post for a synopsis), but it fully hit me while teaching the class today: here I stand in Korea doing something He's been preparing me my whole life to do! The spiritual gifts that He's given me, the Biblical education and spiritual foundation I received growing up, the youth ministry and teaching opportunities, the failures I've learned from, the successes through relying on His power, and even the guitar He placed in my hands-- all these things have been building into exactly what I needed to lead this class today!

When you find yourself in that place of suddenly realizing that you are overflowing with joy and strangely energized while expending lots of energy acting in obedience to the ONE who equipped you to do the thing that is bigger than you, it's a blessing which brings confidence and humility, joy and holy fear, an out-of-body experience at the same time that you're more aware than ever that what you're doing is not in your own power, but you've been chosen to take part in His grand plan to expand His kingdom on earth.

Overstated? I don't think so.

Only meant for a few? I don't think so.

I say "when" you find yourself in that place not "if" because He is faithful to His Word and Ephesians 2:10 is His truth, not mine! Live in courageous faith, stepping into His will at His leading and you'll be amazed how the God of the universe will choose to use little ole you to do the thing you were designed to do!

You might have to go to bed early when it's all said and done though!

No comments: